|Turley office||Bristol , Manchester|
|Status||Development Consent Order (pre-application consultation stage), submission anticipated in Q2 2018|
|LPA||South Northamptonshire Council|
Delivering a ‘next in generation’ Strategic Rail Freight Interchange
- We are engaged in the preparation of an application for a Development Consent Order to deliver this distinctive next generation Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) on behalf of one of our key clients, Ashfield Land.
- The Rail Central site lies within Northamptonshire, the UK’s centre of gravity for distribution and logistics, often referred to as the ‘Golden Triangle’. This unique site sits at the intersection of the Northampton Loop Line and the West Coast Main Line, and offers direct access to the A43 dual-carriageway and is within two miles of the M1.
- Rail Central is born out of a specific compelling need, set out within the relevant National Policy Statement for an expanded network of SRFIs across the UK, located near the business markets they will serve.
- It will provide a national distribution hub, linking deep-sea ports and landbridge services to mainland Europe and beyond with the rest of Britain.
- By delivering the project, we will play a significant part in the modal shift from road to rail, which support Government environmental and transport objectives. At full capacity, Rail Central would remove an equivalent of 1,800 HGV movements per day from the strategic road network.
- Over the estimated ten year construction period, construction is expected to directly support approximately 268 gross FTE temporary construction jobs per annum. Once fully operational, the development can be expected to accommodate a further 8,111 gross FTE jobs.
- In design terms, Rail Central presents a unique opportunity to deliver significant enhancements to the overall ecological value of the area through a scheme of well thought out, integrated mitigation. The proposals include the re-alignment and extension of public rights of way through and around the site, the introduction of a network of wildlife corridors and recreational spaces for local residents.
Project sheetDownload PDF