|Client||LLW Repository Ltd, on behalf of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority|
|Status||Planning permission secured|
|LPA||Cumbria County Council|
Providing capacity and enabling site closure at the national Low Level Radioactive Waste Repository (LLWR)
- We have been the retained planning adviser since 2005 on projects at or associated with the national low level waste repository near Sellafield.
- Made representations to national, county and local planning policy.
- Led the planning process for the LLWR site optimisation and closure works planning application. This comprises the phased construction of five further disposal vaults to extend the operational life of the national repository and begin the installation of capping works necessary for its eventual closure in accordance with the UK Strategy for the Management of Solid Low Level Radioactive Waste.
- The site optimisation and closure planning application was closely aligned to the accompanying Environmental Safety Case into which we inputted.
- Completed projects include a new modular waste storage vault (Vault 9), a rail freight spur and waste transfer facility, contingency waste storage facilities, a series of off-site groundwater monitoring installations (including several within a Site of Special Scientific Interest and Special Area of Conservation), and various site infrastructure and accommodation works.
- Planning permission for site optimisation and closure works secured.
- Turley managed the preparation of responses to statutory consultees, advised on legal agreements and developed the condition wording.
Project sheetDownload PDF