|Client||S Harrison Developments Ltd|
|LPA||City of Edinburgh Council|
Bringing life back to St Andrew Square in Edinburgh
- Lead consultant for the project to redevelop Buchan House to comprise a 72 bedroom hotel complete with bar and restaurant areas, which will be operated by Malmaison.
- Planning and heritage appraisal and advice based on a thorough understanding of the site and its context to set the strategy for the city centre project which comprised two Category A listed buildings set within the New Town Conservation Area and Edinburgh’s World Heritage Site.
- Delivered expert supporting Strategic Communications, Economics and Sustainability services.
- Submission and project management of applications for planning permission and listed building consent.
- Applications were submitted in July 2017 and planning permission and listed building consent were granted in November 2017. Only one representation was submitted from an adjoining neighbour regarding impact on amenity.
- A key achievement was the justification and approval of a new three storey element in the rear courtyard to accommodate back of house kitchen space and two levels of front of house bar/restaurant space. This was justified on the basis that it would enable a lighter touch to be had on the fabric of the listed building.
- The scheme will reverse many of the unsympathetic modern interventions whilst retaining, restoring and reinstating original features. The project will deliver significant economic, environmental and social benefits for the city, and add to the considerable mix and scale of development in the vicinity of St Andrew Square and the wider St James Quarter.
- The hotel opened in December 2019.
Project sheetDownload PDF