|Status||Planning permission granted|
|LPA||City of Edinburgh Council|
Bringing new student accommodation to Edinburgh’s east end
- The site is located on a major east-west arterial route to Edinburgh City Centre and in an area undergoing significant transformation, including the redevelopment of the former Meadowbank Sports Centre.
- We led discussions with City of Edinburgh Council to explore the appropriate design response to the varied built form context and the constraints presented by two sewers which run along the site’s frontage.
- We facilitated positive pre-application discussions with the local community and stakeholders, including a 2-day public exhibition.
- An application for planning permission was submitted to City of Edinburgh Council in March 2019.
- We secured planning permission in June 2019 for purpose built student accommodation, comprising 198 student bedrooms and ancillary uses.
- The consented development includes a commercial unit envisaged to be let for use as a community space for the local community of Willowbrae, Meadowbank and Craigentinny. The need for such a space was established during pre-application discussions with stakeholders.
- The consented development will contribute to the housing needs of Edinburgh’s large student population, in a location well-served by public transport providing access to the city’s university and college facilities.
Project sheetDownload PDF