|Client||Westgate Oxford Alliance (Land Securities and the Crown Estate)|
|Status||Outline planning permission and reserved matters approval granted, construction completed in November 2017|
|LPA||Oxford City Council|
Integrated planning services for major town centre regeneration
- Co-ordinated the complete planning process, from strategy and pre-application discussions to approval of the outline planning application and subsequent reserved matters.
- The largest development site in Oxford’s city centre, the refurbishment of the Westgate Centre and redevelopment of adjacent land strengthens Oxford’s retail and leisure offer, and reinforces its regional role.
- Our Heritage and VIA teams assessed the impact of the scheme on key city views and nearby designated and non-designated heritage assets.
- A combined Heritage, Townscape and Visual Impact Assessment was prepared which formed part of the Environmental Statement. This reflected current best practice advocated by Historic England, The Landscape Institute and Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment .
- Creating consensus and shared objectives enabled us to progress a form of outline planning application which satisfied both the client and city council.
- Outline planning permission was secured in October 2014 and reserved matters approval in December 2014. We continue to discharge planning conditions and obligations, and provide the client with ongoing planning advice.
- Westgate opened in November 2017. Final construction work is due to be completed in early 2018.
- The retail-led mixed-use scheme extends Oxford’s retail core, comprising 81,000 sq m of retail space (100 shops), 25 restaurants and cafés, a 13,000 sq m multi-level John Lewis, a new cinema, 59 residential units, retention of the existing public library, and car and cycle parking.
Project sheetDownload PDF