Mission Direct video
The Charitable Trust has supported the work of Mission Direct
for the past five years.
Mission Direct works with local charities in the UK and overseas, helping volunteers to make a practical and lasting difference to local communities through the building of schools, hospitals, clinics and homes and through supporting individuals dealing with issues such as forced marriage.
In April 2017 this engagement was extended with a trip to the Dominican Republic. During eight days in Sosúa and the surrounding villages, ten Turley co-owners carried out work in the local community, including:
- Distributing medical and school supplies, toys and games to local children and communities.
- Visiting a local school and assisting with lessons including mathematics and art and design.
- Visiting the house of Sister Mercedes, who co-ordinates Nazareth House where she looks after 17 disabled children.
- Offering advice on the design of new housing plans for Sister Mercedes and Nazareth House.
- Visiting a number of different projects on the island including Villa Samaritan 2 – a project previously supported by the Turley Mission Direct Team in 2015, which is now a thriving community.
- A complete rebuild and renovation of Ana’s house, a local volunteer who cooks hot meals for senior citizens and children in her community’s feeding programme. The team levelled floors, built walls, mixed cement, cleared the ground and helped to erect the corrugated roof.
Our work is featured in the short video below: