Aldermaston Park, West Berkshire

Client: Praxis Holdings LtdLocation: West BerkshireScale: 200 homes on an estate of 56 haStatus: Ongoing

Aldermaston Park, West Berkshire

Securing the future of a heritage asset through enabling development

Aldermaston Park is a unique private estate and lake in prime Berkshire extending to approx. 139 acres. Originally part of the great royal hunting estate of Windsor, it became the property of Sir Robert Archard in 1110 as a gift from King Henry I.

Whilst there has been a principal country house on the site for many centuries, Aldermaston Manor was built in the late 1840s following a fire which destroyed much of an earlier Jacobean manor. The house is Grade II* Listed and the surrounding grounds are designated Grade II Historic Park and Gardens. There are many different species of trees in the estate including redwoods, Wellington and many large oaks believed to be over 1000 years old. The estate also currently houses Portland House, an 85,000 sq ft purpose-built HQ office.

This challenging scheme in Aldermaston involves submitting an Enabling Development application for a site that sits within the Atomic Weapons Establishment’s (AWE) Detailed Emergency Planning Zone (DEPZ).

The site is currently vacant, having been last in use in 2008. The site has been extensively marketed for a range of uses including reuse as offices, however this has failed to identify a new tenant. Turley was instrumental in developing a strategy for re-use of the site with the aim of securing the future of the estate and heritage assets contained thereon.

Our planning, heritage and engagement teams are all involved in building a robust case for the construction of around 200 homes in order to fund the restoration of the Grade II* listed manor house and surrounding parkland, the latter of which is currently on the Historic England ‘at risk’ register.

Working closely with the client’s design team, Turley has advised at each stage, including the local authority pre-application process, community consultation and liaison with a range of key stakeholders.

The planning application was submitted in summer 2016.