To achieve development in the public interest the compulsory purchase of property is sometimes necessary as a last resort.
Our CPO experts provide practical advice and input into the scoping of and justification for CPOs as well as the provision of expert planning advice in relation to subsequent land compensation claims.
Our services include:
- advice on the scoping and promotion of CPOs under a wide range of statutory powers
- drafting of Statements of Reasons/Case
- planning and urban design inputs to help justify the inclusion of plots within an Order
- preparation and submission of Highway Stopping Up and Footpath Closure/ Diversion Orders
- preparation and submission of objections to CPO and Road Closure Orders
- presentation of expert planning evidence at Public Inquiries
- advice and support to acquiring authorities to help deliver the satisfactory relocation of businesses affected by a proposed CPO.
We assist in respect of Land Compensation Claims by:
- advice to acquiring authorities or affected landowners with regard to planning assumptions to underpin the assessment of land value
- preparing and submitting applications and appeals for Certificates of Appropriate Alternative Development
- preparing and presenting expert planning evidence in the Upper Tribunal and other hearings.
We provided specialist advice in South Hams to enable the compulsory purchase of 11 ha of land for a 40,000 sq m Energy Park.